1. Metformin can stop the progression of pre-diabetes to Type 2 diabetes. This one of a kind drug can do wonders when combined with proper diet and exercise.
2. Metformin can possibly help solve weight loss problems. The substance allows the cells in the body become more sensitive towards insulin, allowing the body to use less insulin for the transport of sugar as well as fat. Similar drugs like Avandia (rosiglitazone) and Actos (pioglitazone) also provide the same effects, but they possess a side effect that promotes fat cell development.
3. The smell of Metformin might be a problem to you as most Type 2 diabetic patients complain that its odor is similar to that of mothballs or raw fish. What you can do is to take the dose of Metformin you will be taking out of the bottle and leave it out for about five minutes to get rid the unwanted odor.
4. A side effect of Metformin is vitamin B12 deficiency, which occurs due to long-term use of the substance. To avoid this side effect while continuously using Metformin for an extended period, you can take vitamin B supplements regularly to ensure you won’t become vitamin B12 deficient.
5. Magnesium deficiency is also another possible side effect of prolonged Metformin intake. Regular intake of minimal doses of magnesium supplement is advised, which is equivalent to less than 100 milligrams of magnesium thrice per day. You can also choose to increase the amount of green leafy vegetables in your diet as they contain adequate amounts of magnesium. Avoid overdosage of magnesium as well as Metformin as this combination can cause diarrhea.
6. Teenagers suffering from Type 2 diabetes can be effectively treated with Metformin. Together with regular exercise, teenagers can expect a significant loss of excess body fat without worrying about stunted growth and hormonal development.
7. The body’s insulin resistance, which can be caused by MSG or monosodium glutamate, can be moderately equalized by Metformin. MSG is commonly added as a flavoring in prepared foods, bouillon cubes, canned soups, frozen dinners, and broths. If you wish to save some money and to ensure you are eating healthy, you should choose to just cook your own meals.
8. Not all people suffering diabetes are advised to use Metformin. Your doctor will not advise you to take this drug if you are suffering from PAD or peripheral arterial disease or any kind of disorder related to blood clotting to avoid increased clot risks.
9. Both Metformin and Glucophage contain the same chemicals. However, there are diabetics who respond more positively to Glucophage. The Glucophage-XR is a time-release version of metformin. This medication costs about US$100 to $200 per month more than Metformin. This particular version is greatly beneficial for diabetics that are able to successfully control their meals. If you are the type that tends to overeat, this version won’t be able to provide you with as much blood sugar control benefits.
10. You may need to ask your doctor for an increased dosage of Metformin if you are advised to take other medications than insulin and are taking less than 850 milligrams of Metformin thrice per day. You can save thousands of dollars per year when you choose to use Metformin instead of other more expensive medications as metformin can provide you with the same blood sugar controlling effects.
11. Metformin is the only drug of biguanide type (blood sugar controlling drugs) that has been allowed by US FDA and has been widely used as a to-go medication for Diabetes