10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Metformin
1. Metformin can stop the progression of pre-diabetes to Type 2 diabetes. Through its use, along with proper diet and exercise, this one of a kind drug can do wonders.
2. Metformin can possibly help solve weight loss problems. The substance allows the cells in the body become more sensitive towards insulin, allowing the body to use less insulin for the transport of sugar as well as fat. Similar drugs like Avandia (rosiglitazone) and Actos (pioglitazone) also provide the same effects, but they possess a side effect that promotes fat cell development.
3. The smell of Metformin might be a problem to you as most Type 2 diabetic patients complain that its odour is similar to mothballs or raw fish. What you can do is to remove the dose of the Metformin you will be taking and leave it out of the bottle for about five minutes to remove the unwanted odour.
4. A side effect of Metformin is vitamin B12 deficiency, which occurs due to long-term use of the substance. To avoid this side effect while continuously using Metformin for an extended period, you can take vitamin B supplements regularly to ensure you won’t become vitamin B12 deficient.
5. Magnesium deficiency is also another possible side effect of prolonged Metformin intake. Regular intake of minimal doses of magnesium supplement is advised, which is equivalent to less than 100 milligrams of magnesium thrice per day. You can also choose to increase the amount of green leafy vegetables in your diet as they contain adequate amounts of magnesium. Avoid over dosage of magnesium as well as Metformin as this causes diarrhoea.
6. Teenagers suffering from Type 2 diabetes can be effectively treated with Metformin. Together with regular exercise, teenagers can expect significant loss of excess body fat without worrying about stunted growth and hormonal development.
7. The body’s insulin resistance, which can be caused by MSG or monosodium glutamate, can be moderately equalized by Metformin. MSG is commonly added as flavouring in prepared foods, bouillon cubes, canned soups, frozen dinners, and broths. To save on money and to ensure you are eating healthy, you should choose to just cook your own meals.
8. Not all people suffering diabetes are allowed to use Metformin. Your doctor will not advise you to take this drug if you are suffering from PAD or peripheral arterial disease or any kind of disorder related to blood clotting to avoid increased clot risks.
9. Both Metformin and Glucophage contain the same chemicals. However, there are diabetics who respond more positively with Glucophage. The Glucophage-XR is a time-release version of metformin. This costs about US$100 to $200 per month more than Metformin. This particular version is greatly beneficial for diabetics that are able to successfully control their meals. If you are the type that tends to overeat, this version won’t be able to provide you with any blood sugar control benefits.
10. Go ask your doctor for an increased dosage of Metformin if you are advised to take other medications than insulin and are taking less than 850 milligrams of Metformin thrice per day. You can save thousands of dollars per year when you choose to use Metformin instead of other more expensive medications as they can both provide you with the same blood sugar controlling effects.